Thursday 22 August 2013

The journey begins

Those two small cases are home for next five weeks.  I am flying to Seattle for a few days, and then driving slowly down the west coast, calling in at Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and many other places on the way. I'll finish up in San Diego, from where I'll fly home.



Heathrow Terminal 5, designed by Richard Rogers


Pret a Manger and Itsu at T5. Designed by Alex Webb when at Agile


If you accept that on every holiday you'll have at least one disappointing meal, then it's good I got it out of the way on the first day.  British Airways served dinner at 17.15, "honey chicken on a vegetable risotto".  My view was a sliver of chicken on rice pudding.  I've spared you a photo

I made up for it with a lovely cold beer and chicken noodles in Whole Foods, Seattle.



My first full day in Seattle, and after very little sleep, was surprisingly busy.  Up and out by 8am, and straight to downtown.  Some images from Day One







Beer with mango. No, I didn't try it (it was only 9am)


Here's one for my Scottish friends ( look closely)


Puget Sound


They make old spaghetti here

In the Olympic Sculpture Park, work by Alexander Calder


Richard Serra


And a stainless steel tree ( with real blackbird ). I couldn't find the name of the artist.


Next was the Experience Music Project, designed by Frank Gehry, commissioned and funded by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen.  I don't like it.





I was more impressed and interested by the visitor centre at the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation





Dale Chihuly is an artist who works exclusively in glass, and has been based in Seattle for many years. (Search elsewhere on this blog for a piece about his exhibition in London a year or so ago).  

The newly constructed Chihuly Gardens and Glass House was my next stop







The Space Needle.  Well worth the ticket price for the views on a gloriously sunny day.  There is the obligatory revolving restaurant, and also a reasonable snack bar for those (me) on a budget



About 160 miles in that direction is the border with Canada
























































No comments:

Post a Comment