Wednesday 7 April 2010

Phishing

The email below appeared in my inbox last night. How nice of that lovely Mr Darling to offer me a refund of £550, especially as I’m spending money just now redecorating my flat: that will come in very handy.

But be careful JD: I wrote here some time ago about phantom withdrawals from my bank account. This is a variation on the same scam and it’s known as phishing. If I were to 'click to continue' it will either infect my computer, or will seek details of my bank accounts, pin codes and so on. A fuller explanation is here.

Revenue and Customs give this advice: HMRC will never send notifications of a tax rebate by email, or ask you to disclose personal or payment information by email. You should never disclose your personal and/or payment information in reply to an email that may look like it's from HMRC, you may well be revealing your details to a fraudulent website. www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/index.htm

Be warned: don’t be tempted, and don’t click the link.



No comments:

Post a Comment